These steps assume that you and your business are prepared with why you need an investment and what you need! ☺
1) Know the investor “industry”
2) Learn what motivates different types of investors
3) Identify affinities – i.e. – the ties that your business may have with them
4) Track, list, follow, listen & learn. Use digital media as a tool.
5) Network – make yourself and your company known to potential investors and “fans”
6) Touch high value targets several times from several different angles
7) Do NOT ask for an investment until either: 1) you have touched a prospective investor at least five times and you are confident they know who you are and what your company does, or 2) they asked you first about an investment in your company.
And finally, use a trusted financial advisor or mentor to coach your team during the process.